Saturday, February 2, 2008

Quick Update from Whistler

Got up to Whistler late yesterday after a 4 hour commute from Vancouver, the roads were the shits. Had a few beers last night and plan to do much of the same today, but probably not until I go snomobiling (I can't ski or snowboard due to my gimp foot, hopefully it will be better soon).

Had a good night before I left pocketing close to 5k in a rather dry game. I hit a couple nice hands and didn't get drawn out on everytime (i'll highlight a few). I'm going to head back late tomorrow after the Superbowl refreshed and looking to make some serious money next week.

Hand #1

I had AK and raised to $80 and had 4 callers. Flop came K52 with two clubs and I bet out $230. The asian woman to my left raised to $600. Normally this would concern me a bit, but givin that I saw her put a tight guy in for 3k 5 minutes before on a QJ4 board and couldn't beat his obvious overpair (KK) after he raised preflop and bet out flop big. I figured she was trying to get even fast and was pushing a vulnerable hand like KQ, KJ, or flush draw. She had another $1,200 after the $600 bet so I put her in. Turn 4 river 7 I tabled my hand and she mucked. She left the table after that, too bad.

Hand #2

Had AA and raised to $90 after one limper. 4 called and flop came down Q32 with two hearts. Checked to me so I bet $300. Everyone folded to a rather tight woman who went allin for another $800 and I quickly called hoping I was up against an AQ type hand. Anyway turned a heart and she tabled A10 of hearts.

Hand #3

Had A2 off on the button on a limped pot. Flop came down A82 two diamonds. Everyone checks to me I bet $90 and am called by one player. Turn is A, he checks I bet $230, he raises to $700 (saying its time to go home). I figured he had 22 or 88 because he had a very small range of starting cards and he was very leary about putting chips in the pot. A couple hands previous I had QQ raised and was called by him heads up. Flop was 992 I bet he called, turn 3 I bet he raised and I mucked (he is not capable of bluffing so I elected to bet the turn to see if he had a small pair, or made hand like 9x, or more likely 22, or AA. In many cases I'll check the turn with intentions to call the river but givin the circumstances I figured there was more value by betting because if he just called I know I could bet big on the river and get paid by JJ,1010, or 88). After I folded he juices me by saying I knew you had nothing thats why I raised with nothing...sure you really got me on tilt now bro. So when this hand came up and he check raised the turn, I asked how much he had left and pushed him in. Well he was right when he said it was time to go home as he tabled 88 and did not river the 1 outer (I'm starting to run a little better it seems). When I put him in he thought he was a lock especially when I said 'you probably got me'. Then when he saw my hand his face turned white. Tit for tat you juice me I juice you.

Hand #3:

There was goon to my immediate right who would auto raise on the button when folded to. This time I looked down at 55 in the small blind so I called his raise. Flop came down 944 I check, he bet I raised assuming he was doing his 100% of the time continuation bet with air. He pondered a bit and said 'man you called me with a 4' and folded QQ face up. I then showed him 55 and he went on instatilt. I didn't get too much of it but within the next 45 minutes he stacked off about 5k. Amazing what a little move like that can do to a player.

Hand #4:

I tight player from early position raised to $60 had two callers so I called with 44 on the button. The flop came down 842 with two spades (woohoo! Third set of the trip, hopefully he doesn't have 88). He bet out close to pot size for $200. I raised to $550. He thought for awhile and called. The turn was a 2 he checked and I decided to check for a couple of reasons. One, and most importantly, he only had $700 left so whether I bet the turn or the river I only have one bet to put him in givin the size of the pot. Two, he was reluctant to put chips in without a big hand so if he had 99 or 1010 he may fold to the turn allin. If I check the turn and fire on the river assuming its not the flush card he will be forced to call pretty thin I think. Third, maybe he has no touch and will try to bluff me on the river (although that doesn't seem to be in his range). Anyway, the river is a dud, he checks I bet him allin and he calls. I don't know his hand but I'm guessing its not that big if he checked the river and maybe if I had pushed on the turn he may have folded.

Hand #5:

Had 98 hearts and opened the pot for $70 getting 3 callers. Flop came down Q74 two hearts. I bet out $180 and had one caller. Turn was an 8 and I decided to fire again this time for $375 assuming my opponent was floating with a mid pair like 99,1010, or had a weak Q like QJ or Q10 suited and maybe I could shake him. He called. River brought an offsuit A and I knew he didn't like the card. So this time I fired out for $1000 and he folded after much deliberation. Hey me! I hadnt' done much three barrel blufs (albeit semi bluffs on flop and turn) as I have not been running good and have been a little cautious. As well, lets not forget that the players are so bad that a person can do very well by playing a rather text book game of betting only when you have it.

Anyway, off to snowmobile. Hopefully, I'll be talking about how I won 20k in a day on my next post.

Cheers,

No comments: