Sunday, March 15, 2009

Could be a long post

I'm not going to spend time complaining about my luck or spend time talking about much of anything. The games down here are decent and I run like shit. The last 3 days have been alright banking about 12k, but previous to that I had a bad week, banking a couple dirty 8k losses. Overall, I'm up on the trip but if you factor expenses etc... I am not much over break even. My trend seems to be win a bunch of small / medium pots then get dirtied on the big ones, start over win a bunch of small / medium pots then get dirtied, well you know the story.

Its hard to think of all the hand over the last 2 1/2 weeks. I will try to focus on the significant pots both holdem and omaha.

Omaha:

Overall the omaha play down here is weak. Most of the players are nitty nut peddlers that limp to hit big then get their chips in. Many of these players buy in short so the deep stack skill aspect of the game is usually lost. Thankfully, many of the these clowns overplay their aces, especially out of position so it makes it easy to stack them when you hit against their 3 bets (as many will only 3 bet with aces). Most do not not bluff or take advantage of position as they should pouncing on scare cards against opponents who are clearly betting with made hands on previous streets. Anyway, I have probably come across a half dozen solid players but thats about it, most of whom were Europeans.

Hand #1:

I had AKQJ double suit and I three bet preflop in the cutoff and had 3 callers. The flop came KK3 with 2 diamonds. I bet 3/4 pot and was raised pot by a kid from Mississippi who was fairly tight and about 4k deep. The flop raise was to $1,200 so my move was to fold or push. I didn't have to play the hand, but I thought his range would be K3, 33, or any AK combination (not necessarily a fullhouse as I saw him raise fairly light against another deep player 30 min prior). If I was up against K3 or 33 I was close to flipping, but if he held an AK or maybe even KQ combination I would be crushing him because I had the A high diamond draw. I wouldn't call this an ideal spot but I was running good in the game leading up to this point so I decided to gamble and shoved. He called showed 33 and we ran it twice. Running it twice is another reason I call in this spot. It seems to be standard on most big pots and thus in flippy situations you should be able to hit once. Of course I bricked both turns and rivers, goodbye 4k.

Hand #2:

This was the most baffling omaha hand I encountered. From my end it was standard, from my opponent it was pathetic. In a limped pot I was in the cutoff with j1004 and played. The flop came 1062 two spades. Checked to me I bet pot and was raised by some goof, I reraised, he reraised and bang we got it all in. I am generally willing to get it in as fast as I can with top set if it is the nuts at the time (against weak players at least) because I know its possible they could push a bad draw or sometimes not let go of mid set and I don't need to be creative against them because they are donks and are oblivious to my holdings even though it should be pretty damn obvious in this situation. Anyway, after a $50 limp pot we all of a sudden had a 7k pot brewing. I said to him if you show me a big wrap and flush we can run it twice cause i got top set. Goofy agreed to run twice but wouldn't show me his cards so I said forget it, run it once. The turn came 4 of spades and river was a dud. I knew I lost. He showed me AQ82 with A high spade draw. I don't quite know the math, I may only be a 65-35, but the point is what kind of jackass sticks in that thin on a limp pot? Oh well, goodbye 3.5k.

Hand #3

I raised a straddle with AA73 with A high diamonds and was raised from the small blind by Surrendir Sunar, who was one of the few solid players I ran into. We were both about 7k deep and givin his ability to put pressure on me on a bad board if I were to 4 bet I decided to flat his raise (as he would call my 4 bet knowing I had aces if I reraised, he noticed I 3 bet alot but really only 4 bet against shorter stacks with aces). So with deception on my side we went to the flop. The flop came K107 two diamonds and he bet pot. Now, I was running bad at this juncture and although I had an overpair and nut flush draw I didn't want to get it in against a possible KK or some wrap hand like KQJ10, J1098, etc... He was playing tight solid, especially from the blinds so I felt his 3 bet would be dancing around that flop as he would only be reraising with KK or a premium drawing hand. So I flat and the turn brings nothing, a 5 of spades. He pots and I rather quickly call. I felt that with a brick coming out he would definately fire expecting me to ditch most any drawing hand I may have had (that wasn't strong enough to push hard on the flop). Anyway, the river pairs the 10 and he pots me again, this time the price is $3,200. I tank for awhile as I feel the only hands he will do this with are some K10 combination, KK, 108, or a bluff. All other hands I would suspect he would check and maybe call thinking I may represent after missing a big draw. From a bluffing perspective, he would probably expect I would have made a stand on the turn with two pair (such as K10, 77) and raised to make him pay if he was drawing so the likelihood of me holding a 10 is small (unless it was a random pair to go with flush and str8 draws). So, he would know that I would likely have to call light to win. I chicken out and fold. He later says to me he was value betting AK. I don't believe him.

Hand 4:

In this hand I was up against the most agressive player I have ever played with in omaha. He opened 90% of hands with a raise and reraised at least 25%. I had position on him most of the time so I didn't mind. In this hand I was on the button and reraised with KQJ8 double suit. 3 of us went to the flop of A107 two hearts. They checked to me and I bet 80% pot. The kid check raised pot. I tanked for a minute (although I knew exactly what I was going to do) then potted back trying to represent aces. At the time I was indifferent whether he called or not. If the kid had a draw I would be crushing him because he would likely have a weaker wrap with smaller hearts. However, I think givin the board texture he would check call most draws to get there cheap and thus was likely to have a set. The kid had about 5.5k and tanked for about 2 minutes then eventually shoved making a stand with middle set. Pretty sick but I guess I 3 bet him enough times that he wasn't convinced I had it. Anyway, we decide to run it twice as it a flip situation where I need a KQJ9 or heart. Guess what, no KQJ9 or heart in 4 cards. Good times. Goodbye 5.5k

Hand 5:

This one has a good ending. I raised with 7789 double suit and was reraised by this shooter who doesn't really know whats going on but he liked to raise, so I call. The flop came Q75 rainbow. I checked he bet i raised he then reraised. He was about 3.5k deep and I was in for about 900 after raising the flop. I saw him go crazy with bottom two on a previous occasion and thought I don't think I can fold to this guy he could have a wrap hand like 7654 etc.. which i crush. I also factored in two back door flush draws and a gutterball. Before long I said all-in and he showed me QQ42. Turn J, river 10 I straighten out. First time ever, I got lucky on a big pot. Well, first time in a long time. He proceeded to call me a mega-donk for about half an hour. Finally, I told him listen your tattoos frighten me so I ain't gonna talk back and start a fight, but if you want we can go play heads up for as much money as you feel comfortable you just let me know. Things calmed down and he rebought and that was that.

Hand #6:

I had A987 double suit and raised getting 2 callers. The flop came down 863 2 diamonds. Both checked I bet and was check raised by a nit playing 5k deep. I called with nut flush draw open ended. The turn brought an A and he bet pot. I was certain I was up against set of 8s or 6s but I figured the obvious diamond 10 or 5 would win, but my plan was to bluff against a 794 or 2. The river came a 7, the best of the bluffing cards as almost every str8 gets there. The nit suprising puts out a blocking bet of 30% pot. Against savy players the warning signs may go on as sometimes this bet is inviting a raise, but in this case I know the nit was nervous. I fired a big river raise of about 2.3k. He muttered "you fish always chase and get there on me. I fold". After a comment like that I couldn't help myself so I showed my hand. He immediately cashed out.

There were alot of other biggish omaha pots but I'm getting tired and will continue on this another time. Never mind holdem...

I think my plan is I'm going skiing with some buddies in Whistler from Wednesday to Sunday then will go to Regina to hack around in the tournies and hopefully make some cash. Then home to hang with family and friends for awhile. This means I'm cutting the Vegas trip a little short, but givin my luck of late it may be the best thing (plans could always change if I have a mega heater between now and Wednesday but very unlikely).

Later

No comments: