Saturday, May 16, 2009

Calgary

Saturday night and not only am I out of the heads up tourney, but the 1ker too. I must suck at tournies....i'm still a nobody!

The heads up was short and sweet. The structure was decent with 10k starting chips and best 2 out of 3. Unfortunately they took out some blind levels so it wasn't as small ball poker as last year. In the round of 64 I drew Brad Booth, probably 1 of about 5-6 guys I didnt' want to play early on. I have played Brad hu online some at fulltilt and a few times in ring live in BC and Vegas. I have to give credit where credit's due, he played well.

Match 1: He was limping a lot to feel me out. I on the other hand raised most buttons and he was content seeing many flops out of position. Without really getting involved in anything real big I got a 15k to 5k chip lead midway through the 3rd level. During the 3rd level I started limping and min raising a bit so I wouldn't commit too high a % of chips relative to his stack where I would have to fold pre if I had a weaker hand (he started reraising to a pot committed 3 bet out of position) . I found once I started limping a few times he started raising from out of position. Finally I pick up aces when he was down to 4.5k. I limped he raised I flat. Flop was 862 two spades and he fired. By this time he was down to just over 3k with the chips invested in the pot and I thought I would look like I'm trying to float/call light so that he would push the turn, which would be pot size. I didn't necessarily think he had much and I didn't want to scare him away. The turn paired the 2 and he shoved, I called and he showed J9 of spades. The river brought a brick and I faded the flush draw. Note: regardless of how that hand started it was going to probably go in based on the tempo of the match. If I raise pre he defends and the flop is shipped.

Match 2: We banged back and forth through the first level about even. Then on the second level I raised the button with J4 hearts. The flop came 653 rainbow, he checked I bet he called. The turn brought the A of hearts giving me a backdoor flush draw, open ended and a good semi bluff ace rep. He checked and I bet $600, which was about 60% pot. He check raised to $2400, about the first real big checkraise he made to this point. This was a big bet for early blind levels and I figured he was big, likely aces up or better (too early in match and the line on that kind of hand would seem far too risky, much better spots for a big bluff). Anyway I take the heat for $1800 because I think its game over if the heart hits and I may still get paid if the straight hits. The river bricks and makes a big bet (he later told me he flopped a set - we discussed the big pots after the match). So now I'm down to about 7k. We banged around for about another 30min before our next real big pot. He raised from the button (he started to raise the button alot in match 2). I looked down at AK, by far the biggest hand I had seen in match 2. I reraised and we went to the flop, with about 2k in the middle. The flop came Q52 two clubs one spade. I decided to continue because the board was dry and I don't think he could continue with much (maybe a pocket pair or a Q). Plus, I had checked the flop after three betting both times in the first match, once for pot control after missing and once to check raise, both of which he checked and folded once I bet. So I bet 1,200 and he called. The turn brought the ace of spades. I felt I should have the best here unless he fluked a set of 2s or 5s, however I would have expected him to raise the flop with such hands hoping I have something and think he's moving on a flush draw. Anyway, I bet out 2,500 (the pot is too big already for pot control and to induce bluffing, and with the two flush draws out there I can't give a free one. Note: Brad is not dumb enough to bet without a strong hand if I check, so check to raise would not be a viable option where it could work against weaker aggro types). As it turns out he quickly puts me in for another 3k. I was suprised and upset because I was probably beat, however with the cash in there and the fact he could have a Q plus spades type hand or an outside chance he could be trying to run me off my hand if he thinks I don't like the ace (remember I hadn't continued through on the other two preflop 3 bets, meaning he could think I hit the flop which means Q, pocket pair, etc... and follow through with turn ace even though I don't have it so I prevent him from taking away the pot if I check). All these theories were nice but in the end I found that he turned aces up with A5. I didn't negate him on the river and match 2 was done.

Match 3: During some of match 2 and into match 3 I started to limp on the button more. Usually I don't do this but I he started 3 betting more frequently and by limping, sometimes with good hands and sometimes with marginal, I found I was winning the lions share as he had to continue out of position far too much. The the pots much smaller I was able to float, peel, or whatever and it put him in tough spots. Anyway, during the first 3 levels of match 3 I chipped him down and found myself with 13.5k to his 6.5k then this hand happened. Once he hit below 7k he started trying to limp a bit more, obviously to see flops cheap and not risk going into danger low chip levels. On this particular hand it was his 3rd limp in a row from the button. I hand't raised out of position at all during our match with pure junk but I didn't want him to think he could keep seeing flops cheap. So with the blinds at 1-2 I made it 700 with K2 off and he flat. I thought at the time he had some type of 78, j10 type hand he that flops well. So we go to the flop and its KJ2 rainbow. I continue with 1000 and he raises me to 2,500. At this point I think he has K9 suited, mabye aces, but not KJ or 22 because I would expect him to have raised those preflop. So obviously I'm excited because I think its over. I hollywood a bit and shove he insta calls and shows JJ...sick cooler. So know I'm on the short with about 7k. We bang back and forth for another 30 min. Then I pick up 77 and raise to 1050 with only 6k behind, he raises to 2,500 and I fold (this was the first min type raise. He told me after he felt like such a fish pulling that one on me, I told him ya, I would have likely stood with 77 as blinds were going to 3-6 in 5 min - he had AA). A couple hands later and sitting at 6k I raise with AK to 1050 (probably last hand at 2-4). Brad shoves and I call. He had 22 and it held. By the way that AK was the only top 10 hand of the 3rd match. In fact, my hands and flop hitting were weak in the 2nd and 3rd match.

All said and done I think I played well against him. I adjusted to expose his weaker spots (the aggression out of position) and I think I kept him guessing. In the end I felt I was on the wrong side of luck as per usual. I don't know if I have an edge on him or not, if so it would be marginal, either way when skills match up close you have to win the big pots. Brad is down to the final 4 and is playing some kid who just beat Helmuth in the quarters. I hope he wins so at least I can say I lost to the eventual champ. I wouldn't be suprised because he's playing well and has not lost a game since droping the one to me. It should be a good finish as Jeff Madson and some high limit sniper named Terrence are playing in the other semi. No matter what I would have had to play well and had some luck because it was a tough field in general with at least 20 great heads up players out of 93 entrants.

The 1k multi today sucked. Summary: bounced before halfway point and best hand AQ then 66. As a somewhat shorty I pushed on an openended straight and was called then shockingly bricked.

The only luck I had all week was dodging a 1k dinner bill at Caesar's steak house when Kathy and I went down with about 8 other poker players for a bite. Antonio Esfandiari bullied everyone into picking a card where the low card pays the bill. He ended up losing at his own game (but thats ok because he was likely the richest guy at the table).

Work has been very busy and I have been down in Virginia. I will likely be going back in June thus cutting into WSOP time. No choice as it is a critical time for the company and I'm working 12 hour days for the first time in years. I haven't had much time for online, but what time I have spent playing has worked out alright. I expect to play the main event for WSOP but not sure how much more. I will update when I know whats happening for Vegas.

joe

No comments: